Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: First Personal Computers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:14:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Markoff <markoff () nyt com>
Date: September 10, 2009 9:56:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] First Personal Computers

Well I realize that this is an infinite regress, but if we are going to discuss candidates for the first PC I'm surprised that no one has recalled the LINC designed by Wesley Clark and Charles Molnar. This appeared in the New York Times awhile ago:

In the pantheon of personal computing, the LINC, in a sense, came first —more than a decade before Ed Roberts made PC's affordable for ordinary people. Work started on the Linc, the brainchild of the M.I.T. physicist Wesley A. Clark, in May 1961, and the machine was used for the first time at the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, MD, the next year to analyze a cat's neural responses. Each Linc had a tiny screen and keyboard and comprised four metal modules, which together were about as big as two television sets, set side by side and tilted back slightly. The machine, a 12-bit computer, included a one-half megahertz processor. Lincs sold for about $43,000— a bargain at the time—and were ultimately made commercially by Digital Equipment, the first minicomputer company. Fifty Lincs of the original design were built.