Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Internet still reshaping history

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:00:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 9, 2009 10:42:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet still reshaping history

A lot of people think Excel was the first spreadsheet program, invented by Microsoft, and many people think that the Apple II was the first personal computer, invented by Steve Jobs.

This is no different than the idea that Edison invented the motion picture, or that Sarnoff invented television.

I recently took an Architectural Boat tour of Chicago. It was really fun and informative. But if you took the tour you would think that architectural design firms created all of the buildings you see - 10 human beings or so. I suspect that the viewpoint of the people who actually *built* the buildings - craftsmen and laborers, creative problem solvers who designed window technologies, steel structural technologies, etc. deserve more than a little credit.

But our culture cheers the "creators" who sit in their offices, drink expensive wine, and create personal cults of fame.

I don't mean to denigrate the architects, but to be honest, they are only part of the process.