Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: EFF: National Coalition of Authors Urge Rejection of Google Book Search Deal

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:57:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: September 8, 2009 10:20:24 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] EFF: National Coalition of Authors Urge Rejection of Google Book Search Deal

The goal must be transparency in the surveillance and choice by the
consumer.

Technology will continually encroach on privacy but it's important to
realize that by historical norms, much of today's anonymity results simply
from rapid urbanization and is not a historical or global norm. We can't
read books from the library without the librarian, and others, knowing our reading habits. Talk to your mailman someday and you'll learn how much he or she knows about you. It's hard to keep your reading habits truly private.

Today, we have an online generation that is willing to share vast amounts of
personal data in order to opt in for other services. Book reading is the
same way - the library knows but access is free. It's your CHOICE. That's
all that's really required in most cases.

The difference that technology promises to provide is the CHOICE between
privacy and disclosure. Disclosure can bring great benefits that might
include free content for the right to be target marketed. As long as the
surveillance is clearly disclosed and one can choose, we're making progress.

KWK