Interesting People mailing list archives

DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:54:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Alexander <salex () dsalex org>
Date: October 17, 2009 18:37:50 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

Wow. The Register article is pretty sensational, but gives a different impression than what I have. See https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=01886bf13926063b1cc0e996b223440f&tab=core&_cview=1 for a synopsis as produced by DARPA. Note in particular: "The de- anonymized MNP traffic will be compatible with and transit existing Internet infrastructure carrying legacy Internet traffic. MNP- enabled networks may allow or deny entry or transit by unauthenticated data flows, and will transmit data as fast as (or faster than) existing legacy network protocols."

Having heard a brief before the BAA came out and having been to Proposers Day for MNP, I'd say the goals are: - provide end-to-end authentication so that QoS can be provided based on user authority rather than a guess as to who is behind a dynamic IP address - additionally use that authentication for traceback in the case of attacks coming from within the MNP portion of the network
- increase the level of automation of configuration of the network.

I think the comment on generals may be somewhat accurate. My understanding is that the name was chosen rather deliberately without any misconception that general Internet users would want to give up the level of information required. (As I understood the system, in the military context, you'd have users use their CAC card to prove their identity to the end system as a start of the end-to- end authentication.)

Personally, I believe the goals are reasonable ones in a military context. I was initially surprised to see the third goal in with the first two. I think there may be a few reasons why it's there. The one that makes sense to me is that MNP seems like it needs a fair amount of policy. One may be able to design a policy system that can also handle configuration and that limits the amount of manual setup required. This would be a boon in some military contexts. I'm not sure that I would try meet the goals of MNP in the same way that the BAA does, but the posts below seem to go more toward the goals of the program.

I also wouldn't call this a secure network. It's an authenticated network, which would allow one to build some additional security and which makes traceback easier. But one could still launch viruses, send /listen to unencrypted traffic, and send traffic without authority and meet the requirements of the BAA as I understand them.

Finally, I would note that I think that David Reed's characterization of "these guys", by which I think he means DARPA, seems overbroad. Having worked with only a few DARPA PMs, I've seen a range in how willing they are to seek and accept advice. Often that varies within a single PM depending on how certain they are of their own vision for a particular project.

Disclaimers: I have not seen anything about Lockheed's approach to MNP. I currently do work for DARPA and have worked for the MNP PM in the past. I work for a company that bid on MNP, although I was not involved in our bid.

Best,
Scott Alexander