Interesting People mailing list archives

Two Great re-posts for IP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:14:29 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Neil Schwartzman" <neil () cauce org>
Date: October 16, 2009 11:23:29 AM PDT
To: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Two Great re-posts for IP

Michael Geist has been spot-on with regard to the lobbying efforts on the part of several special interest groups to kill key provisions in bill C-27 currently wending its way through the Canadian legislative process

1. The Copyright Lobby's Secret Pressure On the Anti-Spam Bill
Friday October 16, 2009
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4464/125/

As I posted earlier today, the Electronic Commerce Protection Act comes to a conclusion in committee on Monday as MPs conduct their "clause by clause" review. While I have previously written about the lobbying pressure to water down the legislation (aided and abetted by the Liberal and Bloc MPs on the committee) and the CMA's recent effort to create a huge loophole, I have not focused on a key source of the pressure. Incredibly, it has been the copyright lobby - particularly the software and music industries - that has been engaged in a full court press to make significant changes to the bill.

The copyright lobby's interest in the bill has been simmering since its introduction, with lobbyists attending the committee hearings and working with Liberal and Bloc MPs to secure changes. The two core concerns arise from fears that the bill could prevent surreptitious use of DRM and block enforcement initiatives that might involve accessing users' personal computers without their permission.

Canadian Marketing Association Attacks Anti-Spam Bill
Friday October 16, 2009
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4463/125/

With the final Industry Committee review of C-27, Canada's anti-spam legislation, set for Monday afternoon, lobby groups have been increasing the pressure all week in an effort to water down many of the bill's key protections. Yesterday, the Canadian Marketing Association chimed in with an emergency bulletin to its members calling on them to lobby for changes to the bill. While the CMA was very supportive of the bill when it appeared before the committee in June, it now wants to kill the core protection in C-27 - a requirement for express opt-in consent.

--
Neil Schwartzman
Executive Director

Canada: +1 (514) 300 1916