Interesting People mailing list archives

A note on Next week's vote at the FCC (I will post other points of view if well stated djf)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:50:20 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: October 15, 2009 11:41:41 PDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] A note on Next week's vote at the FCC (I will post other points of view if well stated djf)

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *"Gross, David"
*Date: *October 15, 2009 8:02:06 AM PDT
*To: *dave () farber net <mailto:dave () farber net>
*Subject: **A New Post*

Next week the Federal Communications Commission will vote on a proposal
to consider establishing binding "net neutrality" regulations on
companies providing Internet services. Breaking with the long tradition
of the Clinton and Bush Administrations of ensuring that governments
around the world do not "Regulate the Net"...

Really? The Clinton administration's Dep't of Commerce initiated and empowered ICANN, a very heavy-handed economic and business regulatory body that is costing the community of internet users roughly a billion dollars $USD every year in highly inflated, monopoly-rent, charges for domain names. The US Gov't supported ICANN has made the domain name system a modern form of a medieval trade guild that sets prices, terms of sale, minimum price components, and chooses who may and who may not become a vendor in the marketplace. On top of that the US Gov't supported ICANN imposes a worldwide privacy-busting body of regulations and a trademark uber-alles regime of private, but worldwide, law.

The argument for ICANN was "technical stability". But, as we saw with the disappearance of an entry country (Sweden) from the domain name system, ICANN long ago abandoned the field of internet stability to graze in the greener (as in the green of dollars) fields of business and economic regulation of the net.

I agree that the FCC's net neutrality endeavors might cause some troubles, but the idea that such action by the FCC would be contrary to some US policy against regulation of the internet is contradicted by the existence of the ICANN, a stepchild of the US Dep't of Commerce.

   --karl--