Interesting People mailing list archives

Take a close look at your Verizon Wireless bills... UPDATE

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:07:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgbarkes () gmail com>
Date: November 3, 2009 7:25:50 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Take a close look at your Verizon Wireless bills... UPDATE

Mea culpa.

In my defense, the change billing information update page makes no reference to modifying "Phone Usage Addresses." And it's not unreasonable to assume that the PPU address will automatically be changed when the billing address
is changed, since, as the company notes in its e-mail to me, "the PPU
address should be your residential street address or primary business street
address."

That said, the arrangement actually makes sense. I have three wireless
numbers on the account: my phone, my OnStar phone, and my daughter's. While
my car and I are in Fayette County, my daughter's in Allegheny County.

The email from Verizon customer service:

---
In accordance with the Mobile Telecomm Sourcing Act (MTSA), Verizon Wireless
must conform to a taxing standard that is based on a customer's primary
place of use (PPU address). This is a legal requirement enforced by the
Federal law in effect as of August 1, 2002.

The PPU address should be your residential street address or primary
business street address. Since the PPU address provided to us for your
mobile numbers was based in [Allegheny County], PA, these mobile number were
billed for [Allegheny County], PA taxes. Your PPU addresses have been
updated to reflect your mailing address effective November 2, 2009 and your
new tax rates will be reflected on your next statement.

In review of your account, I see that your address was updated via "My
Verizon." Please be aware that when you change your address online, your PPU address must also be updated. For future reference, to change your address,
please sign on to "My Verizon" by visiting www.verizonwireless.com
<http://www.verizonwireless.com> ...

Verizon Wireless is unable to issue a retroactive tax credit if you did not update your PPU address when you changed you address online. However, as a one-time courtesy, I have placed a credit of $5.00 on your wireless account. This credit will appear on your next billing statement and will include an additional adjustment for taxes if applicable. Your revised balance of $***
is due on or before November 18, 2009.
---

And yes... I went online and changed the PPU address of my daughter's line
back to Allegheny County, so I'll be paying the sales tax on her line.

Regards,

KGB

-----
Kevin G. Barkes