Interesting People mailing list archives

Take a close look at your Verizon Wireless bills...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:36:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgbarkes () gmail com>
Date: November 2, 2009 4:03:37 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Take a close look at your Verizon Wireless bills...

Hi Dave,

I moved from Allegheny County to Fayette County a year ago.

I was scrolling through my Verizon Wireless bill for this month and noticed
a charge for "Allegheny Cnty Sales Tax."

I sent an e-mail to Verizon, who responded promptly and credited my account.
But the account rep noted in his e-mail:

"I have updated your address on your account. Future statements and
correspondence will now be mailed to your updated address. Also your county sales tax will also be updated and billed accordingly." The rep thoughtfully
provided detailed instructions for changing my address online.

Those instructions seemed familiar, because I *had* changed my address
online a year ago. I reviewed my invoices and discovered the mailing address was indeed my Fayette County residence. And they all had Allegheny County
sales tax charges.

Somewhat peeved, I had an even closer look at the invoices and discovered that while the Verizon rep had credited me for the Allegheny County sales tax charged on my main wireless number, he had- like me- missed the two other wireless numbers on the account, each with its own list of itemized charges, and each containing a charge for the erroneous sales tax. The front
page of the Verizon bill features a "Quick Bill Summary" that details
monthly access charges, Verizon surcharges, and taxes, but they're not
itemized.

If any of your readers moved out of Allegheny or Philadelphia or live near those counties, they may want to check their bills. Apparently, Verizon doesn't check that status of your local sales tax obligation when you change
address.

Regards,

KGB

-----