Interesting People mailing list archives

Status of GG Farber and a comment on home medical problems

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:20:02 -0500

 GG was given an excellent treatment at the Jennersville  regional Hospital by a small but competent medical staff.
They stabilized her condition and we evaluated whether to continue her treatment then but decided to take advantage of
the much larger facilities in Pittsburgh UPMC.  and  she was transferred  last evening to Pittsburgh in a rainy foggy
six-hour drive.  She arrived safely and was immediately treated at Magee   woman's  Hospital  intensive care unit. Her
blood pressure is normal but there are problems with her sodium  level  and especially within the  infected  ulcer.

They are planning surgery on Friday to remove dead tissue and to seal the  wound so it heals properly.

Much of the trouble GG has is due to the UPMC home nursing service. The visiting nurse was excellent he tried his best
he could but needed the expertise of a wound nurse. It was next to impossible to get them to schedule in a reasonable
time such a nurse so, a GG was left with a infection and no effective treatment. Finally after she went to the hospital
the wound nurse called and said she was coming over. Great timing!

I suggested that the visiting nurse take a picture of the wound and send it to the would nurse so she could react
rapidly. This suggestion was rejected out of hand by his management and no explanation was given as to why it was
rejected. For a  Hospital system that prides itself on its automated medical system it has little or no knowledge of
how to deal with technology in the home environment. This is a sad lack that has impacted my wife badly.   For a
hospital that is set in a center of computer technology in Pittsburgh this is not just surprising it is shocking!

I hope GG comes through the operation successfully!

Dave