Interesting People mailing list archives

Genachowski: Spectrum Crisis Not Immediate, But Planning For It Should Be

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:09:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: November 23, 2009 10:11:35 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Genachowski: Spectrum Crisis Not Immediate, But Planning For It Should Be

Genachowski: Spectrum Crisis Not Immediate, But Planning For It Should Be

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski says there is a looming spectrum crisis, but he appeared Friday to be trying to calm the waters a bit after several weeks of increasing alarm from broadcasters over FCC talks about reclaming their spectrum for wireless broadband. He said that there were a lot ideas being offered up about what the commission could do to address the need for more spectrum. "We haven't said anything about which ideas were the best." He also echoed a point he made earlier in the week at a press conference, which is that this is "a long-term planning issue for the country." It has historically taken the FCC between 6 and 13 years to reclaim spectrum, he said. "We know the problem is coming," he said, "It's not coming next week; it's not coming next month; it's not coming next year, but it is coming." And he did say the FCC has to start coming up with the policies to address it now.

<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/390098-Genachowski_Spectrum_Crisis_Not_Immediate_But_Planning_For_It_Should_Be.php?rssid=20065 >

Courtesy of the Benton Foundation <http://www.benton.org>RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress >