Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Shovel-ready broadband stimulus

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:50:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:17:34 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Re: Shovel-ready broadband stimulus

[Note:  This comment comes from friend Tom Hazlett.  DLH]

From: Thomas Hazlett <twhazlett () gmail com>
Date: May 8, 2009 8:43:11 AM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Hi Dewayne-

Thanks for posting my FT.com piece.

A quick response to Bob, if you'd care to distribute:

In fact, economists are well aware of the fact that not all problems are best suited to resolution by auction. Ronald Coase wrote a famous 1937 paper which launched a general inquiry as to why some activities are undertaken more efficiently within the firm than via use of "the price system" -- i.e., auctions. Many others have investigated how property rights are efficiently awarded and, in many cases, show competitive bidding to not be the superior system. My research ("The Rationality of U.S. Regulation of the Broadcast Spectrum," J Law & Econ [April 1990]) specifically criticizes Coase's paper on the FCC where he argued that auctions should have been used in the 1920s to distribute radio broadcasting rights. That ignored the more efficient path that had actually been adopted (and was then pre-empted in the 1927 Radio Act), priority-in-use rights.

But auctions are highly socially advantageous across a large class of cases. The reason why reverse auctions make eminent sense in spending so-called broadband stimulus monies is that they force performance criteria to be explicitly established and then generate information as to the most economical path. The former imposes transparency, reducing political gamesmanship; the latter saves taxpayer funds.

What's not to like?

Thomas Hazlett