Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Army migrating computers to Vista ?!?!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 14:21:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Magda <dmagda () ee ryerson ca>
Date: May 23, 2009 11:08:27 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, <rforno () infowarrior org>
Subject: Re: [IP] Army migrating computers to Vista ?!?!

For IP?

On May 23, 2009, at 07:25, Richard Forno wrote:

This is today's "WTF" news item, and one that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever -- does the Army think Vista will offer added value and/or security because it won't be as widely-used as Windows 7? Or is this just a case of deploying obsolete and inferior products just because they've been paid for under some "strategic plan" from years back? I find this absolutely absurd!

No, they probably think it's more secure than the upcoming Windows 7 because they've tested it over the two years since its initial released, and its been pounded on by a lot of people, and has one Service Pack out (with the second on the way).

While Windows 7 is based on Vista's architecture, it is new and completely untested in a hostile environment at this point .

We use this version because we know all of its bugs. A new version means new bugs.
        — Benny Cheung

I'm no fan of Microsoft, or Windows, but I can see that they're trying to move the ball forward (how much they're succeeding is another issue).