Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The "Social Nervous System"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:04:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Frode Hegland <frode () hegland com>
Date: March 12, 2009 7:33:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   The "Social Nervous System"

Yes, and then there's this:

“The right kind of interface design can take advantage of the worlds
evolving communications web and turn our screens into windows on
one another's minds.”
Timothy Leary

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Brim <swb () employees org>
Date: March 12, 2009 1:04:43 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The "Social Nervous System"

I quote Arthur C. Clarke out of context:

"What we are building now is the nervous system of mankind, which
will link together the whole human race, for better or worse, in a
unity which no earlier age could have imagined."

- Arthur C. Clarke, "The Social Consequences of Communications
Satellites," paper presented at the 12th International Astronautical
Congress, Washington, DC, 1961, and published in Arthur C. Clarke,
Voices from the Sky: Previews of the Coming Space Age (New York:
Harper & Row, 1965), p. 139.