Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Govt refuses to disclose .gov domain names

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:54:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: March 3, 2009 8:53:50 AM EST
To: "Yiorgos [George] Adamopoulos" <yiorgos () tee gr>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Tom Claburn <tclaburn () techweb com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Govt refuses to disclose .gov domain names

Interestingly engough I made a similar request to the .GR Hostmaster for
a list of .GR domain names, back in 2007.  The response that I got was
that it was prohibited by their security policy.

What I can only speculate is, that given a list of domains, one can
easily create fairly accurate spam lists and spam all of them.

Spammers are way, WAY beyond this and have no need of such primitive
tactics.  It's certainly possible that the keepers of that TLD believe
that this is a valid concern, but if so, they're completely wrong.

(Oh, incidentally: most of this sort of information, if not all,
has been readily available on P2P networks for quite some time.)

---Rsk