Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Diebold Admits Audit Logs in ALL Versions of Their Software Fail to Record Ballot Deletions

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 03:38:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Abe Singer <abe () oyvay nu>
Date: March 19, 2009 10:01:46 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Diebold Admits Audit Logs in ALL Versions of Their Software Fail to Record Ballot Deletions

Dave, for IP if you like,

Wherefore the certifiers?

My comments below should in now way be taken as an attempt to diminish
Deibold's culpability.*

It seems that the certification process failed miserably, and repeatedly.

But I do not see anywhere in the discussion any outrage at the certification
process and those who perform it (the certifiers).

I wonder, how did this product receive certification in the first
place when this particular flaw violated federal certification standards?
What were the certifiers doing if not testing against the standard?  Did
they neglect to follow testing procedure, or does the testing procedure
itself fail to identify non-compliance?  Do the certifiers have any
accountability for their failure?

The certification process' prima facie purpose serves to validate the
vendor's claim of standards compliance.  Why do we have these standards
if the vendors can basically ignore them and still receive certification?

-- Abe

* I believe the sum of Diebold's mistakes, if not malicious negligence
seem at least to indicate gross incompetence, and more than merits the
Secretary of State's outrage, along with all voters who have no way of
knowing whether their vote got counted.  Diebold submitted
systems for certification knowing that they did not comply, and said nothing
when they passed.  IANAL, but that smells like fraud and/or deceptive
sales practice.