Interesting People mailing list archives

Lawyesr Gone Wild and the Board of Directors was Where Exactly?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:37:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: ann marie plubell <amplubell () yahoo com>
Date: March 17, 2009 5:33:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Lawyesr Gone Wild and the Board of Directors was Where Exactly?

Dave,

I am stunned and thrown back into a reverie about my chosen profession.

“Outside counsel has advised that these are legal, binding obligations of AIG, and there are serious legal, as well as business, consequences for not paying.” (Source Liddy letter to Geitner, March 14, 2009)

Could it be a firm as excellent as Weil Gotshal rendered this advice?
http://www.weil.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?news=37241

It seems odd that they would fall prey to a textbook-worthy example of lawyering based on what the client says is the desired outcome versus desired lawyering which identifies the options and leaves business judgment (in the AIG case-to determine whether to pay or to challenge payment) to the individuals tasked with exercising that judgment-the board of directors-the record of that decision properly documented in the minutes of a special meeting to consider the matter. Where the hell was the Board at any point in this sorry saga anyway?

There is no contract that cannot be renegotiated or the grounds of making it subject to challenge. Contracts 101.

Ann Marie

Ann Marie Plubell JD, LLM, MBA
The Plubell Firm LLC "East-West Business Bridge"
3429 Quebec Street NW, Washington, DC 20016 USA
202-537-1982 US   Beijing mobile (011-86) 13651149091
ann.marie () erols com  www.plubellfirm.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/b/375/b65