Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NY Times: Get the Tech Scuttlebutt! (It Might Even Be True.)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:40:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Amy Wohl" <amy () wohl com>
Date: June 8, 2009 3:48:12 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] NY Times: Get the Tech Scuttlebutt! (It Might Even Be True.)

Dave,

Bloggers are not created equal any more than journalists (Pulitzer Prize winners are a lot different than the guy who writes the obits or the gossip column). And weekly country papers don’t have the resources or the guidelines of the New York Times.

The problem is, bloggers don’t seem to have rules. Some of us come out of formal backgrounds – you need sources (even if you can’t reveal them); opinions must be plainly noted as opinions not facts; speculation is fine as long as it’s clear that you’re thinking (or dreaming) out loud.

Other bloggers, drawn by the heat of the moment and the ease of blogging (and it is and should be easy to blog) write whatever they please without understanding that on the web everyone can see it and it will stay there (on your blog or somewhere else) forever. You bear some responsibility for the words that appear over your name.

We’ll never get this entirely sorted out (even the big papers have their occasional scandals), but we do need some rules. I would recommend for a start:

·         Of course, anyone can blog.  This is a first amendment right.
· Bloggers should understand that their credentials will ultimately depend on what they write and what people think about it. Therefore, if you’re writing a serious blog you might consider offering your credentials and name (unless that is dangerous for you and would not permit you to write freely). Anonymous bloggers might consider offering a reason for why they blog anonymously. · Bloggers need to separate facts, opinions, and speculations. If you don’t write based on facts, say so. Lots of people like to read opinions, they just need to know that’s what’s going on. You may write about all three, but in that case, a labeling convention is required. · When you are basing what you write on something you read elsewhere, give credit; better yet, link to the source. The purpose of being on in is being able to access the original material.

Maybe we need to have different names for different kinds of bloggers? After all, we don’t call gossip columnists or book reviewers “journalists.” We reserve that term for those who research a story and spend the time to write about it carefully. Often, they spend long periods of time in a specific area – politics, healthcare, science, technology –developing a network of contacts and some level of familiarity, if not expertise, allowing them to identify, develop, and write their stories.

There are bloggers who do that. We need to give them credit (and credence) while enjoying other blogs for what they are. It’s fun to gossip and speculate; it’s just not news.

Amy D. Wohl
Editor, Amy Wohl's Opinions
40 Old Lancaster Road, #608
Merion, Station, PA 19066