Interesting People mailing list archives

Cell phones are tools of the establishment

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:04:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 23, 2009 5:44:56 PM EDT
To: "Prof. David J. J Farber" <dave () farber net>
Cc: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>, "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Cell phones are tools of the establishment

The X.400 email standard was modeled on trusted administrative domains and untrusted private domains of a government PTTs. So were transport agents vs user agents distinctions. The cellular industry goes further with complex information management for billing purposes and access control rules etc. CALEA. It’s very much in the image of telecom as defined by designated service providers.

Of course it’s also a boon to those who believe that free speech is fine as long it isn’t too free. In many countries it’s difficult to buy an anonymous cell phone. All that awful, sorry, I mean lawful, intercept, is just to protect freedom from itself. Free is also limited because of the need to synthesize billable events.

DPI may be a headline issue but the basic architecture of the current cell phone makes it trivially easy to track down the source of webcam videos and map out the relationships – and so what if the implied relationships aren’t real if you just want to clamp down.

The real big idea of the Internet is that we can implement protocols from the edge, as Skype does. Too bad we are putting so much effort in keeping the prototype alive with kludges like IPv6 and thus firmly in control of those who want to be in control.

I feel sorry for those who believed their cell phone videos would go untracked …