Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Oops again. (A biggie, this time)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:43:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Labmanager <labmanager () gmail com>
Date: July 6, 2009 11:49:31 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Oops again. (A biggie, this time)

Dr. Farber

I saw the Frontline piece on electronic dumping which broke this story. I'd like to add that while Northrup may have procedures in place to make sure hard drives are destroyed, they do not destroy the hard drives on the personal home based computers of their employees. I have known Northrup employees and I've known employees of other defense contractors, all are under pressure to meet deadlines and offen work from home to meet those deadlines. Company policy or not, sensitive material is regularly brought home in electronic form and placed on personal computers, which in turn could easily end up in foreign dumping grounds.

For years I've believed this issue to be a huge nationwide security breach. As the Frontline investigators demonstrated, it's very easy to track a computer to a shipping container then to a specific country. Think about it, countries like China have tremendous cheap labor reserves, which they could easily use to scan hard drives for personal data. Imagine foriegn agents tracking electronic junk shipments from federal employee and contractor rich states like Maryland, DC, Virginia, then directing it to places where the data can be recovered.

Even if the drives don't contain sensitive government data , there is personal information such as financial records, tax records, stored pornography, etc. etc. All of which can be used to blackmail existing federal and state employees. Personal debt is the # 1 reason Americans sell classified da

This is an intelligence gold mine. Everytime I go to the land fill, I see mounds of computers in bins which have been separated from the other waste, all ready to be shipped out. This story is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

Jerry