Interesting People mailing list archives

really really geeky issue --$12 million !!!! -- really total $61 M and BTW

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:17:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Richard Shockey" <richard () shockey us>
Date: July 2, 2009 9:11:02 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] $12 million !!!!   -- really total $61 M and BTW

Now to end this particular thread ..if ICANN would be so kind as to help
fund the IETF, from which all IP blessings ultimately flow,  maybe we
wouldn't have this discussion.

Oh and BTW if ICANN could please return to the IETF/IAB control of the IANA protocol parameter registry while they are at it many of us would be most
grateful.

This is actually a huge issue in the current discussions with the DOC, ICANN and the IAB now that the contract between the DoC and ICANN is due to expire
in Sept.

The protocol parameter registry

http://www.iana.org/protocols/

was a legacy from the Jon Postel era that was never meant to be controlled
by ICANN. Protocols and their definition are a singular function of the
IETF. Though ICANN controls that registry, what goes into it currently under IETF control. There is a huge fear in the IETF engineering community that as ICANN morphs into, god knows what, the control of that registry could fall into nefarious hands, namely that other "standards bodies" could write into that registry thus invalidating its unique function under IETF oversight.

It sounds like a really really geeky issue but its importance to the proper
functioning of the Internet cannot be emphasized enough.

Begin forwarded message: