Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband Plan ---

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:19:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Date: January 10, 2009 10:29:13 AM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Obama's Broadband Plan ---

* Placing bets on just how little change will occur, or more to the
point about how much of our change ends up in the pockets of AT&T and
Verizon… *

The administration is seeking rapid spending as economic stimulus, but we also need to look to the future.

For example, we need to encourage fiber in the last mile. The OECD says FTTx is used in 45% of Japanese broadband connection, 39% in Korea, 19% in Sweden, 18% in The Slovak Republic, and 3% in the US.

The bad news is that we are behind some nations; the good news is that the telephone and cable companies do not own fiber connecting 100% of our homes and buildings ... yet.

We will eventually have a lot of fiber installed, but who will own it? Verizon? We have seen how they use "their" copper "pipes." Are there viable alternatives? Ownership by local governments? Coops? Home and building owners?

Larry Press