Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: URGENT PRIVACY ISSUE WITH the new White House web site? CORRECTION

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:21:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Gaines <cheryl.gaines () gainesgroup com>
Date: January 21, 2009 4:43:19 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Subject: Re: [IP] IRGENT PRIVACY ISSUE WITH the new White House web site? CORRECTION

Karl, Dave

CORRECTION, PLEASE.

The new White House privacy statement appears both complete
and excellent to me.

Perhaps the privacy statement served to you was incomplete,
I would imagine that files had to propagate through a number of
servers, in view of the volume of hits the new source must have
experienced since noon Jan. 20.  Perhaps you accessed an early,
incomplete version.

Regarding tracking cookies, here is an excerpt from the current
privacy statement at http://www.whitehouse.gov/privacy:

- - - BEGIN QUOTE - - -

Cookies: A cookie is a tiny piece of data stored by a user's browser that helps a web site or service recognize that user's unique computer. You can remove or block cookies by changing the settings of your browser.

Session specific cookies may be used on WhiteHouse.gov to improve the user experience and for basic web metrics. These cookies expire in a very short time frame or when a browser window closes and are permitted by current federal guidelines.

The federal government has guidelines for the use of persistent cookies available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/memoranda/m03-22.html#20 . The goals of the guidelines are to enable the useful functioning of federal websites while protecting individual privacy."

- - - END QUOTE - - -

The privacy statements goes on to define policy regarding a 'persistent cookie' set by third party providers when you click to play a video, and how the user my avoid the persistent cookie.

I commend the entire Privacy Statement to you.
I find it excellent.
Note. The quoted link above is incorrect. The OMB (Office of Management and Budget) policy statement on privacy provisions for Executive Branch web sites can still be found at http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/memoranda/m03-22.aspx

Gene Gaines
Sterling, Virginia

Begin forwarded message: