Interesting People mailing list archives

the latest idiocy from Cablevision

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:54:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ritholtz Capital <ritholtzcapital () optonline net>
Date: January 17, 2009 4:05:17 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: the latest idiocy from Cablevision

Hey Dave,

For IP

Back in September, my internet provider (Cablevision) implemented a system wide DNS redirect. Typos or bad addresses took you to an Optimum OnLine by Cable Vision: DNS Redirect. It was apparently their attempt to capture (steal, really) some search advertising revenue. (I posted on it here: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/09/cablevision-dns-redirect-nonsense/)

It wasn't the typos that were so bothersome, but rather, the way it defeated simple Firefox URLS. For the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times, I ordinarily need only type 3 letter (WSJ or NYT). No "dot com" necessary. Now, I get hijacked to the Optimum On-Line search assistance page.

If you hunt a bit, you can find an "About this Page" button that eventually leads you to an opt out selection. I had done that in September, and -- apparently -- Cable-vision and I have very different definitions of what "Opting-out" means, because this morning, the redirect was back (I opted out AGAIN, and within moments, the redirects stopped.

Dave, are there any agencies (state or FCC) to complain about this to? Other than canceling Cablevision, are there any other options to ?

Barry L. Ritholtz
Fusion IQ
535 Fifth Avenue, Suite 612
New York, NY 10017
212-661-2022
The Big Picture: Macro perspectives on the Capital Markets, Economy, and Geopolitics
http://www.ritholtz.com/