Interesting People mailing list archives

Just a simple question re the IPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:23:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ole Jacobsen <ole () cisco com>
Date: February 5, 2009 6:10:46 PM EST
To: Victor Marks <victor () victormarks com>
Subject: Re: Just a simple question re the IPhone

Victor,

One would have to wonder "could not" vs "would not". Policy vs
technology.

Yes, there are many ways to get unlocked phones, but they aren't
"commonly" sold in the US at least not in retail stores. I usually
get mine from Hi-Mobile which appears to be an outfit in Canada.

You can buy unlocked iPhones too from various sources, I'm just a
little nervous about getting one that has been unlocked through some
"hack" rather than an Apple-sanctioned unlocked phone. I have this
fear that the former could be rendered useless by an Apple update
while the latter is supposed to be OK.

It would be interesting to know what the FCC's position is re
unlocking. Does AT&T really have the right to deny the unlock?

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj