Interesting People mailing list archives

osed data retention law WAS Republicans propose data retention laws etc REPOST!!!!!!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:24:21 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Thompson <jim () netgate com>
Date: February 23, 2009 7:16:42 AM EST

Note that the government could require an 802.1x/WEP or WPA compliant authentication (which could be done semi-anonymously), punting the log to a machine in a much more stable location. Most of the half-decent wireless routers on the market today (including the WRT54 series) will perform enough 802.1x and RADIUS to allow sufficient logs to be kept to comply with the legal requirements of this (not yet a) law.

Configuring these is another matter, but in the current "spend like its water" environment, the ILECs and MSOs (and yes, even the ISPs like Brett) could be given "a few" dollars per subscriber to re- configure the world.

I'm not saying I'm in-favor of the idea, or the law. I *AM* stating that Mr. Goltz (*) is wrong, and that those who espouse that DHCP logs are (or were, or even are not) the answer are looking "too far down the stack". Its got nothing to do with
the write-performance of the flash.

There are some edge cases, such as what to do if a STA connects somehow during the window when the Internet connection is "down". One could always require "forced re-authentication" once the net is back up, I suppose.

(I've spent many years doing embedded work too. I was running an embedded "open source" 802.11 platform before many thought it possible. (Musenki))

Jim