Interesting People mailing list archives

re ATT suggests heavy data users overloading cell sites, must stop or pay?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:39:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sid Karin <skarin () ucsd edu>
Date: December 12, 2009 2:06:32 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] ATT suggests heavy data users overloading cell sites, must stop or pay?

Dave,

Somehow it seems that the headline should have read:

"AT&T Admits To Inadequate Infrastructure To Support Their
Contracted Customers."

        Cheers,

                ......Sid

I recently went around and around with a couple of AT&T folks
after getting a message on my iPhone saying that I had exceeded
the out of network data limits of my contract.  They admitted that
I had no way of knowing when I was connected to a non-AT&T
tower, while telling me that they had coast to coast coverage.
Obviously not, as I pointed out to them.   I don't do any streaming
video or anything like that, but during the time period in question
my iPhone  spent time in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California,
Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, Maryland, Virginia,
Washington D.C.,  New Jersey, Tennessee, and probably a few other
states as well.  Apparently they don't have good coverage in all of
those places.  What a surprise.

Yes, I'm sure that they are correct about the fine print in the
contract that no one reads.   I'm also certain that the contract
does not reflect the unlimited data that they advertise.  I suspect
that they would lose in court.  I am certain that they should.

        Cheers,

Begin forwarded message: