Interesting People mailing list archives

Gillmor take on Comcast NBC

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:44:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: December 3, 2009 11:48:15 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: my take on Comcast NBC

http://mediactive.com/2009/12/03/the-road-toward-control/

So it’s official. Comcast has announced its intention to buy NBC Uni versal from GE. The danger of this cannot be overstated, but it coul d actually be the catalyst for a policy conversation the nation desp erately needs to hold.

A Comcast-NBC combination is brazenly anti-competitve and anti- democratic. It would give one company far too much ownership over not just professionally produced media but also the ways media consumers can receive it.

Worse, if approved, it could mark the tipping point in Big Media’s p ush to take control over the Internet itself. That’s where we need t o focus our attention.

We can come out of this the right way if the announced deal prompts Congress to stop ducking the key media consolidation issue of our time. If we can use data networks the way we choose, the traditional fears about media consolidation — the concentration of mass media in the hands of a few immensely powerful corporations — lessen over ti me. They’re still worth worrying about, but not as much.

No, the issue now is the truly scary media consolidation we face: the “broadband” duopoly’s increasing control over what we can do with our media. The cable and phone giants are determined to deci de what bits get delivered in what order, at what speed and at what time — if they get delivered at all — to the people who want them.