Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Two views of Federal CIO Vivek Kundra

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:21:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: vijay gill <vgill () vijaygill com>
Date: December 29, 2009 10:01:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Two views of Federal CIO Vivek Kundra

Just one item that immediately jumped out in Dvoraks piece - vivek is from UMUC, dvorak looked him up in UMD

/vijay

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Date: December 29, 2009 2:22:41 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Two views of Federal CIO Vivek Kundra

Dave -- for IP if relevant.

1.  Information Week has chosen Vivek Kundra as CIO of the Year:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/leadership/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222002611

The job of opening the government’s databases to the public—complicated by the need to ensure security, privacy,
confidentiality, and data quality—is huge, and Kundra will be the first to admit that most of the work lies ahead. In
fact, that’s true for everything on his plate: reducing the number of federal data centers, transitioning government
agencies to cloud services, bolstering cybersecurity, improving IT project performance, and engaging the public over
the Web.

With such a long, unfinished to-do list, you might say that we’re premature in naming Kundra InformationWeek’s Chief
of the Year. But that’s where we landed, and here’s why: The federal CIO, now nine months into the job, has
demonstrated a compelling vision for overhauling the government’s lumbering IT operations (with 71,000 federal IT
workers and more than 10,000 IT systems), and his progress is so far impressive.

2.  Tech Journalist John Dvorak has questioned Kundra's background and qualifications for the position:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2009/08/12/special-report-is-us-chief-information-officer-cio-vivek-kundra-a-phony/
Archives