Interesting People mailing list archives

re spam insanity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:03:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: December 20, 2009 5:12:56 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re spam insanity

Dave Crocker wrote:

Further, yes, the current trust-based registration mechanisms, like the one you dealt with at Yahoo, are oriented
towards bulk senders, not towards individual mailers.  Such are the economics of these infrastructure services.
Unfortunately, interacting with individual users is not cost-effective.
I read this comment as defensive arrogance by the anti-spam team.  Cost-effective *for whom*?   Screw the little guys
and maximize profits?

Yeah, doing the little things right is never cost effective for those who don't care about their users.

The current reality is that individuals who send mail need to send from an ISP -- specifically, using a domain name
and an IP Address -- that has an excellent reputation and preferably one with its own abuse handling services.  And
sometimes, you have to encode your message in a way that does not raise spam filtering flags.

I can't tell the tone meant here.  Is the idea that "the current reality" is correct and proper?  Or is this another
snide insult from the "powers that decide" who gets to send email and who does not?

Please stop using "spammers" as an excuse for screwing with perfectly legitimate email use.  Please.  The holier than
all of us attitude of the "spam vigilantes" - those who blacklist whole domains in an attempt to punish everyone for
the abuse by spammers continue to claim they are wonderful.

I don't know why I have to send my email from a "big profitable ISP".  Especially when those ISPs continue to claim the
absolute right to read my email and sell the contents to Law Enforcement, Copyright Holders, and Marketers.