Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Contrarian Expert Asks: "Does Unstoppable Global Warming Occur Every 1500 Years?"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:16:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <drallison () gmail com>
Date: August 22, 2009 1:50:57 AM EDT
To: Russ Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Contrarian Expert Asks: "Does Unstoppable Global Warming Occur Every 1500 Years?"

Russ,

I think you missed my point--perhaps I was not clear. The science and data that Singer "dishes out" is questioned by a large number of reputable scientists. That does not make him right or wrong, but it means that his conclusions and his data should be considered with skepticism. Peer review is an essential part of doing science. Of course, every scientific or experimental finding should be considered with skepticism, but, given Singer's reputation, his findings on global warming and the data he presents should be reviewed with special care.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson () crynwr com> wrote:
David Farber writes:
 > following the field might thing his work is credible.  Singer is, in
 > the words of a friend who knows the global warming field well, a
 > "seriously bad guy".

Here you see an expression of the global warming faith.  If we were
talking about science, Dennis' friend would have said: Singer dishes
out "seriously bad data", and would have pointed to a refutation of
the book (if there is one, Google can't find it).  *That* would have
been scientific.  Instead, we just get more assertions of "If you
don't have the global warming faith, you're a seriously bad guy."

Every generation gets some BIG piece of science REALLY wrong.
Something which from the perspective of several hundred years, nobody
can comprehend believing it.  If you don't think it's global warming,
then tell me what it is, and why you think it's wrong.

Why does this happen?  I speculate that it's fun to be part of a mob.
It's exciting.  It's satisfying.  It speaks to something very deep
within our psyche.  Raise your pitchforks!  Rattle your sabres!  We're
hunting the wolf that causes global warming!

--
Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241