Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Contrarian Expert Asks: "Does Unstoppable Global Warming Occur Every 1500 Years?"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:51:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <drallison () gmail com>
Date: August 21, 2009 6:57:35 PM EDT
To: "Wulf%20Losee" <qx49 () comcast net>
Cc: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Contrarian Expert Asks: "Does Unstoppable Global Warming Occur Every 1500 Years?"

Just for the record, I was not making an ad hominem attack on Dr S. Frederick Singer (aka S. Fred Singer), just noting that his writings are thought by many to be works motivated less by a desire for scientific truth and understanding and more by his political beliefs, his political agenda, and monetary compensation. His chosen role seems to be to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. IP readers should know that he is a controversial figure whose reliability and objectivity has been called into question.

Google him and you'll find a lot of information about him and his "contrarian" views, much of it suggesting that he is a "denier for hire". All that goes to the weight of what he says and writes. The wikipedia article about him, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Singer, provides a summary. Had Losee Wulf spent a moment or two researching Singer, he might have shared my friend's opinion that Dr. Singer is a "seriously bad guy". Singer comes across as a man with an ax to grind, an advocate for a particular set of beliefs rather than a careful evaluator of theories and evidence.

There are plenty of problems and open questions related to our current understanding of global warming. My expert friend is, in fact, a contrarian on some issues. The earth, as a system, is complex, non- liner, emergent, and incompletely understood; much of what is observed is likely to be the result of a number of different things, not just one root cause. There are limited amounts reliable data, historical and contemporary. Much of what we "know" historically has to be inferred indirectly from other measurements by techniques which may be suspect. be noisy, or have biases. Many of the driving mechanisms are not understood well. There is a need for more funding and more researchers looking at the Earth and increasing our understanding. There is also a need for a central open repository of information related to global warming is maintained and easily accessed.

None the less, the working hypothesis that it is human activity that is a root cause of the currently observed climate changes seems well supported by the evidence.