Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Hacker-run GSM network vs the current hack we call cellular

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:48:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 19, 2009 10:43:03 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Hacker-run GSM network vs the current hack we call cellular

Another reminder of the diligence required to keep the current hack we call the cellular system from collapsing. As we see there is no magic – it’s not that hard to build one’s own. At least if one weren’t burdened with the gratuitous complexities of today’s cellular. Perhaps we’re about to see GSM tipped over like a cow – shouldn’t we be preparing for post-cellular connectivity?

Cellular systems evolved from the realization that the stronger FM (Frequency Modulation) signal would dominate the weaker one to today’s baroque digital system that tries to maintain all the privileges accrued to the owners of the old analog systems no matter what the cost. This issue again comes to the fore as we try to maintain this complexity unto the fourth generation (http://frankston.com/?name=4GAgain ).

Internally it’s a hodgepodge of ISDN (SS7) mixed in with hobbyist Hayes Modem protocols (AT commands) and desiccated broken Internet protocols (MMS). Like X.400 it’s very concerned with maintaining the hierarchical system of privileges and charters granted to the children of the old PTTs. How many packets does it take to bill for each SMS packet? These kind of multipliers of costs and complexity are endemic. It took years to get simple things like roaming to work and if you have a glitch calls get dropped thus requiring very expensive coverage with the incredible cost of redundancy with each carrier having to have its own systems?

Why does an iTouch cost about $200 and an unlocked iPhone go for $800 (on eBay)? Online I find unlocked Smartphones to be generally about $600 though a noncontract G1 at T-Mobile is $400. The phone versions may have additional radios and features but still, that’s steep premium. No wonder there is interest in using VoIP on an iTouch as an alternative.

And we know this is complexity unnecessary. But bad design being its own reward because it requires protecting the carriers from competition. The simple end-to-end design of VoIP systems are far more resilient. No wonder we favor bad design that creates scarcity and costs.

How much economic value would be created if we did away with the costs and limitations of this bad design and, in the US, honored the First Amendment by favoring free speech over privileges granted to carriers? How would our quality of life improved if we had the ability to simply communicate instead of having to petition for it each time?