Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: WORTH READING How the Internet got its rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:43:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 8, 2009 12:37:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] WORTH READING    How the Internet got its rules

Crocker argued that what was successful was the RFC's and the collection of people who made and collaborated via them.

The IETF has been a short-term host of that process, which goes back before the formal IETF. John Day knows that well, because he and I worked on the Internet before Dave Clark and others worked on the Internet, during its formative stages, and both John's work and mine were done largely via the RFC process Steve cites.

In fact the RFC's began with the ARPANET, and quickly transcended that important, but relatively small, experiment with packet networking. What the RFC's show is that a good collaborative and collective process is incredibly valuable in creating an innovative community, and sustaining its creativity.

What was remarkably missing from the RFC process was the kind of non- constructive sniping that happens on this email list and many others. The IP list would probably not give us a good design for any communications system that could change the world. Of course that is not its purpose.

Begin forwarded message: