Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Senators Propose Massive Federal Control Over Cybersecurity and Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:51:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: April 4, 2009 12:52:03 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Senators Propose Massive Federal Control Over Cybersecurity and Internet

Lauren is dead bang on. In fact, he's being remarkably restrained; there
should be a clarion call out on this beast.

Imagine a President able to seize the (U.S. Side) of the Internet, I mean shut the mother down as in "no one can 'see' it," and given the power to do
that with no more justification than declaring a "national security
emergency." No criteria for what a national security emergency must be is defined in the bill. It harkens back to the famous Vietnam era quote: "We had to destroy the village to save it." In this case it's "we have to seize
the Net to save the Net."

I'm hoping staff counsel were just nodding off when drafting this and phoned in the language and tomorrow we'll wake up and they will say, "Oh, c'mon, Brock, grow up... What we were really trying to do was..." or perhaps they
were too distracted watching the bottoms fall out of their 401(k) plans.

Here's part of a Huffington Post column:

"[The Senators] propose a sweeping federal take over of all cyber security efforts that gives the President plenary power over the Internet and other as yet to be identified "critical infrastructure." In addition to the power to seize and shut down the Internet in the U.S., the President is given the
power "in an emergency" to limit Internet traffic to any "critical
infrastructure information system," and puts the Commerce Department at the
helm of a federal cyber security clearinghouse with the express power to
override all laws and regulations, including those designed to protect
privacy, to "obtain access to all relevant data" concerning critical
infrastructure information systems and networks owned by the private
sector."

Seriously, I'm not making this stuff up.

More here [link goes to Huffington Post blog entry]:   http://is.gd/qFaa