Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The embarrassment of American broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:27:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: April 30, 2009 12:12:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     The embarrassment of American broadband

At 09:34 AM 4/28/2009, David Reed wrote:

Here's why American "broadband" is an embarrassment.  Ignorance at all
levels.

I disagree. There are many, many smart people out there, all working very hard to deploy the best broadband possible. Not all of them understand all the parts of the puzzle, but that's OK; there's plenty of room for specialization.

The big problem is that many of our country's policy makers fully understand NO piece of the puzzle, and are frequently misled by special interests which want to steer our nation's policy off course so as to serve their own interests. For example, many of them have no idea that lobbyists who come to them preaching "network neutrality" (which sounds like a sensible idea) are in fact promoting the corporate agendas of Internet content providers and advertisers such as Google at the expense of the public good.

As a technical term, broadband is not the opposite of "baseband", nor
does it have anything to do specifically with multiplexing, FDM or
otherwise. Broadband is the opposite of Narrowband - to an engineer.

As an engineer who has worked on networks in the field for more than 30 years, I can state with authority that this is not correct. The antonym of "narrowband" is "wideband," which denotes a a single transmission that uses a large percentage of the usable spectrum within the medium.

To someone who hears the term but is not familiar with its real world usage, "broadband" sounds like it might mean the same thing. However, in real world usage, it means that there are multiple transmissions occurring over the same medium, and that these transmissions are multiplexed by frequency. Early in my career, I worked extensively with IBM broadband LAN equipment. (I believe that I still have one or two of the cards in storage.) This short lived technology realized significant cost savings because it did not require buildings to be rewired for data. It worked, albeit at low speeds, over existing CATV cables within a building or group of buildings. Because it used different frequencies than the video (which was sent through the cable using the same standards as over-the-air TV), it did not interfere with it.

Ironically, while this IBM product was short lived, it has left behind a legacy which persists to this day: it contained the first implementation of IBM's NetBIOS protocol. Virtually every computer sold today contains software that can implement this protocol, which still forms the basis of Microsoft's file and printer sharing software. (Aside: when I wrote an article on NetBIOS for BYTE magazine in 1985 and was asked by the editors for a programming example, I included the Turbo Pascal source code for a program which -- I am told -- caused countless hours of time to be wasted in offices around the world. It was called "NetChat," and was, as far as I know, the first IM program for IBM PC networks -- very similar to Twitter. Plus c,a change....)

But I digress. In any event, modern commercial cable TV systems -- which transmit video in one direction on some frequencies and two-way high speed Internet on others -- are another example of broadband.

In "baseband" transmission, one transmission -- which is not modulated onto a "carrier" signal as it is when frequency division multiplexing is done -- monopolizes the entire medium. In the optimal case, the bandwidth of the transmission is close to that of the medium itself (though in many real world systems it is limited to reduce RF leakage through the shielding of coaxial cables).

However, this has nothing whatever to do with the policy debate
surrounding the term "Broadband".   In that debate, Broadband means
whatever the cable and telcos want it to mean.  Sometimes it means
High-Speed Internet Access.  Sometimes it means lots of TV channels.

I agree. And this ambiguity is unfortunate. It would help to clarify the debate if people used the terms "high speed Internet access" when that was what they meant, and "broadband" only when they meant a mix of services that shared a common medium via frequency division multiplexing.

--Brett Glass