Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Economic Crisis and its Implications for The Science of Economics

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 09:19:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <drallison () gmail com>
Date: April 25, 2009 11:12:05 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, Eric Weinstein <erw.phd () gmail com >
Cc: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Economic Crisis and its Implications for The Science of Economics

I listed some pointers to reference materials in the abstract for Eric Weinstein's EE380 presentation. You can find the abstract at http://ee380.stanford.edu and the references page at http://ee380.stanford.edu/Abstracts/090429-references.html . It is not intended to be comprehensive and can certainly be improved. I think I would start with the EDGE 269 article and comments: CAN SCIENCE HELP SOLVE THE ECONOMIC CRISIS? I think you'd also find Stuart Kauffman's Reinventing the Sacred to be interesting reading, particularly Chapter 11 which deals with economics.

You are not alone in seeing the currently naive trust in a market economy as faith-based rather than rational. Neo-classical economics seems to be an elegant solution to a problem quite removed from the real world. Much of the work of the Wall Street "quants" has been directed at extracting money from the existing system and not at understanding how the financial system works and considering the long term impacts of particular strategies. And, it is the latter which is badly needed.

I think there are different levels of modeling which make sense. I don't think we have a descriptive model of the current financial system and certainly do not have one which is detailed and complex enough to deal with resource issues, global warming, and the like. I think the first step in understanding the financial crisis would be to build a model of what's out there and what the dependencies are.

The complex systems folks argue that a bottom-up model using very low- level agent-based elements is likely to be a better approach than a top-down one. This sort of system tends to evolve towards something similar to what is observed in the wild. Beinhocker's The Origin of Wealth describes some experiments in this area, albeit with highly simplified systems and limited behavioral rule sets.

I think you dismiss the 70's classic Limits to Growth study a bit too quickly. You might want to take a look at Graham Turner's 2008 paper. "A Comparison of 'Limits to Growth' with 30 Years of Reality" ( http://www.csiro.au/files/plje.pdf ) On the one hand, the Limits to Growth results are based on a highly simplified dynamic model of global resources and the global economy and did not take into account (nor could it take into account) such factors as innovation. On the other hand, Limits to Growth did attempt to look realistically at the problems of limited resources and their impact on the society. The detractors resorted to comments like "a piece of irresponsible nonsense" (Henry Wallach, Newsweek) and hang their hats on arguments like "human beings have always found a way around problems and we will continue to do it" but did not present many credible arguments to refute the basic qualitative result. I think we, as a society, learned a lot from Limits to Growth even though the model was only qualitative and not predictive.

Just how to build a reasonable model of the economy is an open question. Given the emergent, self-organizing, and evolutionary nature of the system(s) in question, it is not even clear that a deterministic model can be built. Many people think that we should look more to biology than to physics for inspiration in learning how to model complex systems.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com > wrote: Rather than studying ethical behavior in a moral contexts we should be less naïve about the role of people in these systems. Perhaps behavioral economics is more on-topic in that sense. I see native trust in markets as a form of intelligent design. I see prediction (as in portfolio evaluation) as more art than science – it’s like playing poker to see what price you can get.

I would appreciate any pointers to background material for these presentations. I’m particularly interested in any attempt to shift from predictive models in a Malthusian mold (claiming to know the future by projecting from the present) to a framework building on what I consider the essence of evolutionary processes – the ability to capture success and survive failure without having to be predictive beyond very modest contexts. (Too bad we use phrases like “survival of the fittest” which confuses a mechanism with the dynamic that drives evolution).

The reason why I put so much emphasis on evolution is that we have a system that survives (and thrives) despite the essential unknowabilty of future interactions and the absence of a single goal or optima. Thus I consider efforts to develop sophisticated quantitative models and tools to be the wrong framing. The primary “given” should be that the future is unknowable – if we try too hard to predict the future we’ll find ourselves in the Malthusian trap that Forester’s System Dynamics did with the Club of Rome reports in the 70’s.

I bought a book, The Limits of Market Organization, hoping that it would move beyond uniformism and look at the characteristics of particular markets but instead I found the chapters on The Internet and Telecom hopeless mired in false premises in treating telecom as a railroad and the Internet as just another telecom service. It’s a classic example of trying too hard to predict the future while naively misinterpreting the present – a present that is inherently ambiguous.

It may be unfair to characterize economists as being too willing to accept premises so they could then write papers. This is why I’m interested in counter-examples.

I’ve been arguing that we need an economic/financial system that creates opportunities for many small efforts rather than large all-or- nothing projects. Or, to use evolutionary framing – we need many ecological niches as units of failure. A corporation can be such a unit if but we try too darn hard to keep them alive instead of treating failure as a learning experience.

The question is whether the concept of “economics” is the right framing and whether we should leave evolution to the biologists. We do have “disciplines” (an ironic term in this case) such financial management which does calculations within a framework and should treat valuations as tentative and context-dependent. Unfortunately the naïve (as well as willful) hubris leads the practitioners to act with unjustified certainty. (Robert Laughlin’s A Different Universe tells about the limits of piling models upon models).