Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Should Online Scofflaws Be Denied Web Access? - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:43:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 13, 2009 4:08:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Should Online Scofflaws Be Denied Web Access? - NYTimes.com

I just love the way people set up false dichotomies based on false premises: "commit crime on net, disconnect from net"

Let's paraphrase that: is speaking a fundamental human right, or is it a privilege, carrying with it a responsiblity for good behavior? Therefore, people who express disagreeable opinions should have their larynxes, lungs, mouthparts or brains removed?

Most modern justice systems do not punish bad behavior by eliminating the means usable for productive behavior, but instead by punishments such as prison time, fines, etc. There is a reason for that choice of consequences, and it has nothing to do with "fundamental rights" issues. We punish assault with prison time, not removal of hands/ feet. We punish spying in people's bedroom windows with prison time, not with the removal of eyeballs from sockets. This is not because of "fundamental rights" arguments, and in fact, people have rights not to be held in prisons, though we use prisons despite that argument.

I presume the NYTimes reporter and editor were not thinking clearly when they wrote what they wrote.

David Farber wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/technology/internet/13iht-piracy13.html?hpw

PARIS — Is Internet access a fundamental human right? Or is it a privilege, carrying with it a responsibility for good behavior?

That is the question confronting policy makers as they try to bring Internet access to the masses while seeking to curb illegal copying of digital music, movies and video games.

The United States Congress held hearings last week on the growing problem of piracy, which the American entertainment industry says accounts for the loss of $20 billion a year in sales. Several lawmakers vowed to increase scrutiny of international markets where piracy is widespread.

Archives <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now> <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/ > [Powered by Listbox] <http://www.listbox.com>