Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Thousands cut off from phone service (land AND cell)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:02:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 9, 2009 3:29:58 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Thousands cut off from phone service (land AND cell)

Interesting that it's only ATT and Verizon customers. This is another reminder of the price we pay for a network architecture based on the need to keep bits in billable paths instead of allowing bits to flow free of the constraints of billing. I’m reminded of the week the stock market was shut down after 9/11 as Verizon spliced thousands of legacy phone lines as if it was 1930.

If this had been a real emergency …

As the story says: “Both Verizon and Verizon Wireless rely on AT&T, the dominant local carrier, to carry their phone traffic back to their networks:” with the emphasis on their networks. A crime scene indeed – where is the responsibility for our vulnerability?

This isn’t to say that we can protect against all failures but we can improve resilience. But why should we lose the ability to send a few bits in an emergency just because lose the capacity to support high speed video?