Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Congress asks phone companies: Why are text prices rising?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:20:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: September 11, 2008 9:38:03 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Congress asks phone companies: Why are text prices rising?

Dave,

My general reaction to why companies do this is what is called the Rod Stewart philosophy of why:
Why do rock stars marry supermodels?:
"Because we can"

Unlike Edmund Hillary who said "Because it's there" (why climb Mt. Everest), here companies are manufacturing opportunities. As Odlyzko and others have pointed out, per bit, the profit margin is mind- boggling for text messages. And I still gosh-darn pay for incoming (unlike the rest of the world).

Rahul

Begin forwarded message: