Interesting People mailing list archives

"All servers are busy. Your email will be ignored in the order it was received"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:00:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: September 30, 2008 5:11:25 PM EDT
To: johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, David Farber <dave () farber net > Subject: "All servers are busy. Your email will be ignored in the order it was received"

House limits constituent e-mails to prevent crash
By Jordy Yager
The House is limiting e-mails from the public to prevent its websites from crashing due to the enormous amount of mail being submitted on the financial bailout bill.

As a result, some constituents may get a 'try back at a later time' response if they use the House website to e-mail their lawmakers about the bill defeated in the House on Monday in a 205-228 vote.

“We were trying to figure out a way that the House.gov website wouldn’t completely crash,” said Jeff Ventura, a spokesman for the Chief Administrative Office (CAO), which oversees the upkeep of the House website and member e-mail services.

[SNIP]

The error message in its entirety reads:

“The House of Representatives is currently experiencing an extraordinarily high amount of e-mail traffic. The Write Your Representative function is therefore intermittently available. While we realize communicating to your Members of Congress is critical, we suggest attempting to do so at a later time, when demand is not so high. System engineers are working to resolve this issue and we appreciate your patience.”

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/house-limits-constituent-e-mails-to-prevent-crash-2008-09-30.html
http://tinyurl.com/3pzd3r

--
The war on privilege will never end. Its next great campaign will be against the privileges of the underprivileged. H. L. Mencken