Interesting People mailing list archives

Google patents tech that could overturn telcosfrom Japan --

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:44:22 -0400

requested id be removed.

"in Japan we used to own a box that was readily available at Yodobashi
Camera, LAOX, et al. that took advantage of arcane rules of pricing
telecom between local, long distance, location specific anomalies,
timing of the call & routed the calls along the cheapest route - in
1994 ... AKA killer prior art ...

Japan of course at that time required you to pay 70,000 yen (about
700 dollars in those days - later deregulation mostly removed that
requirement but I never saw any of money phone rights paid back or
rec'd equity in NT&T) to own a phone "right" that was paid *into* NTT
- - which had only recently been partially deregulated - ISDN was still
hot & my e-mails through MCI cost 100 yen per 100 words plus 100 yen
per one minute of connectivity.

this is a patent "publication" - this is not a issued patent - it is
neither novel nor nonobvious, IMHO - and reflects what is wrong with
the patent system, namely that companies such as Google file this
kind of obvious subject matter & lobby against the system which they
claim issues obvious subject matter patents.

a real shame & sham on real innovation.

sincerely,"