Interesting People mailing list archives

We will see if ..Wall Street Bailout vs. PATRIOT Act?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:57:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: September 21, 2008 8:30:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Wall Street Bailout vs. PATRIOT Act?

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: September 21, 2008 7:00:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Wall Street Bailout vs. PATRIOT Act?

The more details I learn about the proposed economic
bailout plan, the more I think about the drumbeat to pass the PATRIOT
Act without due deliberation after 9/11.  In both cases, we were told
with extreme seriousness that failure to approve the legislation
*immediately* would have extremely dire consequences.
Some in the Senate are already raising that point - Pat Lahey in particular (he was particularly burned after co-sponsoring the PATRIOT Act, only to see it used to justify domestic wiretapping. And with Barney Frank as head of the House Banking Committee, and a lot of Republican's raising red flags (and worrying about their own investments), I somehow think some key people have learned that lesson.
Miles Fidelman