Interesting People mailing list archives

Code City, Now Open

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:57:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <Carl () media org>
Date: September 1, 2008 3:26:47 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Code City, Now Open

Hi Dave -

For IP if you like. Your readers may remember our July 4th release of California public safety codes. After a systematic survey of all 50 state fire marshalls, building commissions, administrative codes, and other authorizing legislation and regulations, we are pleased to announce that our code site has now gone national:

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

These codes are all critical for public safety, apply to us all, and the model codes and standards incorporated therein were all intended to be made into laws by the standards creators. It is ironic that the laws that most directly touch our daily lives have been the least accessible, locked up behind a cash register.

In addition, the above-referenced directory features other laws of general applicability, including the California Code of Regulations and California local and county administrative codes.

A readme directory explains some of the underlying issues, making use of the scads of 3-ring binders we accumulated in purchasing materials for this release to create a set for "Code City," a graphic novel of sorts.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Carl