Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Sour Grapes: Missing the Point About Google Android and the G1

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:50:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 7, 2008 10:06:53 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Sour Grapes: Missing the Point About Google Android and the G1

I agree that we need to be careful about presuming that smart is a linear measure and the smart know what the rest of them will need and should want. I don’t necessarily trust rocket scientists’ judgment. As I keep trying to point out – 100% of us (and them) must be able to write and choose their applications if we (vs them) are to be able to. Let’s not assume that Jo six-pack can’t program or doesn’t want to – if nothing else she might be very adept at reprogramming the emission controls in the car to get more power.

One reason I like .Net (and open-source Mono) is that I can indeed run the identical object, not just source, but the same file image on Windows (32/64), the Mac, Windows Mobile and Linux. I hope to have that capability for Android. That said, there is also the case for software that takes advantage of the accidental properties of each platform and is written for that platform. The challenge is to find the right mixture.

The real challenge as I’ve pointed out (http://www.frankston.com/?name=IPGeni2 ) is how add capabilities (AKA software) in a complex and virulent ecology. Part of this is having vouching mechanisms. I say vouching rather than certification or signing to emphasize that you may want to trust a friend for some applications not just VeriSign. But you also need to be prepared for the most trusted applications going awry due to simple misunderstandings. Maybe you don’t want to eliminate all entries in your phone book that have emoticons in their names – you think that that’s cute even if the program things it’s wrong.