Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: what is the cost of bb deployment

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:25:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: October 2, 2008 9:38:06 PM EDT
To: Tom Bleha <tbleha () earthlink net>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] what is the cost of bb deployment

David Farber wrote:

Tom Bleha <tbleha () earthlink net>
From: Date: October 2, 2008 7:05:48 PM EDT

If we expect to have nationwide broadband, if would be helpful to have an answer. Does anyone on the IP list have a good estimate for the cost of: -- nationwide fiber broadband (reaching 98% of the population or so) and
 -- nationwide ultrafast (100 mbps+) wireless?

Much depends on the time scale. If we want it yesterday it will be expensive. But if we can piggypack onto the normal time frame of digging up roads and people's yards and building remodels then it might not be all that expensive.

When I was on the ICANN board I used to meet local government officials and I'd ask them whether their country or city had a plan to add conduits for fiber to their building codes and to install such conduits when they did routine maintenance on roads and such?

I realize that a non-trivial effort in standardizing the conduits, junction points, etc etc is required. And I've heard that the IEEE has been working on this, but I don't know any details.

One of the things which we don't often recognize is the discipline that Ma Bell brought to the deployment of local loop stuff at the edges. Any plan to deploy fiber should take a good deal of time to learn from the telco folks how to do it so that it doesn't become a maintenance nightmare.

And one more thing - before anything is laid, the long-term rights of the public to use and perhaps to own, along with their cost obligations, should be nailed down with total clarity.

                --karl--