Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ICANN proposes new way to buy top-level domains - Network World

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:18:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" <ocl () gih com>
Date: October 30, 2008 5:01:03 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ICANN proposes new way to buy top-level domains - Network World

Debate about this subject has gone on forever and taken much time at the ICANN Paris
meeting, and no doubt will also at the Cairo meeting next week.

Why does it always generate so much interest, whilst many other issued are left aside, or
given 2nd level citizenship? (Spam, IPv4 to IPv6 migration etc.)

Because domain names are imagined by a vast majority of participants as being the key to
making a fortune - a way to print dollars.

This might have been true in the past, but that's because a restricted number of
organisations had a cut of the cake.

With the introduction of hundreds of new top level domains, it is wishful thinking to believe that the cake will grow accordingly. It will grow a little, but not proportionally to the number of domains offered, especially when one reaches the hundreds of new top
level domains.

So what you have really, is a cake that's a bit larger, but a lot of new entrants, and this, in effect, means that many of the new entrants will not get so much more than a
crumb of the cake itself, especially if competition heats up on pricing.

ICANN seems to have made the first barrier to entry a financial one. I am not sure whether this is the right way to do things, but what I am absolutely convinced about is that of the hundreds of new top level domain applicants being accepted, there will be quite a few resounding failures which might cool the frenzy down in a few years' time.

We will look back and think: "Why did we waste so much time on top level domains when we
should have worked more on IPv4 to IPv6 migration?"

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, Ph.D
Global Information Highway Ltd