Interesting People mailing list archives

bandwidth restrictions redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:57:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: October 29, 2008 4:17:07 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: bandwidth restrictions redux

Since bandwidth restrictions have started coming into place I have seen comments from people on the net saying that they cannot or will not download software updates because of their provider's bandwidth cap. Not from people complaining politically but just ordinary users (e.g. see various comments on the macintouch site). I presume this will increase the chance of security patches not being downloaded.

Since it's an ill wind that blows no good I guess I've also seen the upside: people complaining about heavy web pages and the use of flash. Really, if bandwidth caps eliminate flash, can we really complain?