Interesting People mailing list archives

economists outside USA preparing the coffin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:02:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Deborah Alexander <dsalexan () optonline net>
Date: October 2, 2008 11:43:52 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: economists outside USA preparing the coffin

Dave – for IP if you think of value:

From the BBC business pages yesterday, quoting an economist writing in another UK paper:

The political philosopher John Gray, who recently retired as a professor at the London School of Economics, wrote in the London paper The Observer: "Here is a historic geopolitical shift, in which the balance of power in the world is being altered irrevocably.

"The era of American global leadership, reaching back to the Second World War, is over... The American free-market creed has self- destructed while countries that retained overall control of markets have been vindicated."

"In a change as far-reaching in its implications as the fall of the Soviet Union, an entire model of government and the economy has collapsed."

We are already supplicants to China financially; my greatest worry is reaching the day that rates for borrowing go through the roof based on the weakened dollar. On that day we could officially become a third world nation...

Deborah S. Alexander, Esq.
Alexander Law Offices LLC
395 Springfield Avenue
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922