Interesting People mailing list archives

The crisis caused by bankers may take us to the edge of bankruptcy (Ireland)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:02:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ed Gerck, Ph.D." <egerck () nma com>
Date: October 20, 2008 2:18:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The crisis caused by bankers may take us to the edge of bankruptcy (Ireland)

[Dave: Please use this one, for IP if you wish]

Some may agree that: "The crisis caused by bankers may take us to the edge of bankruptcy"

My answer to this crisis' questions, however, takes another direction altogether:

Are we now in a position to finally state that systems cannot self- regulate? If this is true, this financial crisis may signal a quantum jump in our social evolution and philosophical understanding.

From Control Theory, a subject usually studied in Electronic Engineering, it is known that essential parts of a control element must be located outside the boundary of the system that it is designed to control.

The idea of self-regulation is not unsound in Control Theory, however, as long as there is at least one outside, independent, control loop. These are among the basic design tenets of Zmail, that you are using right now.

The idea that this crisis was caused by bankers is, thus, akin to taking a look at the effects and then mistaking them for the cause. Isn't it time to stop singling out scape goats (banks, government, party, greed) for what is a collective need for readjustment and evolution?

The cause of "the crisis", as in any failure in control systems, probably has to do more with our /collective/ failure to correctly define system boundaries and/or establish effective control elements, than "banks", "government" or any other elements that will (undoubtably) continue to exist (and fail!) no matter what solution is implemented.

The idea that systems will self-regulate and create a fair order or, even more weakly stated, that order emerges from chaos, may require yet another crisis to show its inconsistency. However, finally stating that systems cannot self-regulate, that order does not emerge from chaos, will be a conclusion worthy of all our efforts and pain to socially compute it.

Best regards,
Ed Gerck
www.gerck.com