Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Comcast blocking mail to its customers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:47:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: October 17, 2008 10:58:37 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:       Comcast blocking mail to its customers

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 07:26:58PM -0400, David Farber wrote:
I would bet that most ofany money would go to overhead of billing and
staff. It is one way to kill email I guess. Also a penney today and 0
cents in three years

I'll have a more in-depth reply to this thread later, but this needs
immediate rebuttal.

Pay-for-email is not only absolutely unworkable in-and-of itself, but also will have absolutely no effect of any kind on spam. Briefly, the technical
reason is that spammers have availed themselves of hundreds of millions
of compromised systems and are in large part using *those* to send spam.
They'll never get the bill.  The pragmatic reason is that it would be
very foolish to expect people who send spam, engage in phishing, distribute
spyware, hijack networks, etc. to suddenly have a pang of conscience and
pay their email bill.

The pay-for-email idea has been dead and buried for over a decade. Let's
keep it that way.

---Rsk